The hardware that was available at the event.
At CopenhagenClick some PCB’s was given away, this is enough to create a small Macropad with 1 key. Everyone attending the event received one. Below is a short guide on how to assemble a CopenhagenClickPad-V1
Break the PCB over the scored line
Insert the Resistor
Solder in he resistor
Snip the extruding legs off the resistor
Insert the headers
Solder in the headers
Insert the switch (And ignore the horrible soldering job)
Solder in the Switch
Solder in the LED
Insert ProMicro so RAW lines up with RAW on the PCB
Solder in ProMicro
Screw together with the self provided hardware
The hardware used for this is cheap and easily available online
I would suggest looking either at AliExpress or Ebay. Standoffs: M2 x 10mm
- Screws: M2 x 5mm
- ProMicro Micro USB
- Almost any LED you can get your hands on
- Resistor value depends on what LED you get.
Here comes the fun, or dreaded part of this whole experience. setting up the firmware. The easy, but limited way of setting this up is to use the online configuration tool called QMK Configuration and a local tool called QMK Toolbox.
Now QMK configurator only supports simple QMK commands. This means that macros tabdancing, or other advanced stuff needs to be configured through the hard method.
All you have to do is to configure the macropad is to choose Copenhagen_Click/Click_pad_v1 in the dropdown in the top left corner. then configure the key that you want to have it activate when you click the button, then press “compile” in the top left corner. After this, press Firmware at the bottom right hand corner, and your .HEX file will be downloaded.
After this you will need to set up QMK Toolbox. this takes a few steps.
- Download the drives from here: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_driver_installer/releases
- Ensure that the ProMicro is inserted into the Computer, then run the qmk_driver_installer.exe file.
- Choose to only installed “Connected” drivers
- Download the QMK Toolbox application from here: https://qmk.fm/toolbox/ (https://github.com/qmk/qmk_toolbox/releases)
- Install or run QMK Toolbox.
- In the Application choose the .HEX file downloaded from QMK configurator
- Choose Microcontroller “Atmega32u4”
- Short the two pins on the bottom of the macropad labeled with “Reset” twice with a metal object.
- After the macropad have been detected by QMK Toolbox press Flash.
If you are looking to use some more advanced features then you will have to use the local version of QMK. More information can be found here: